Special K

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Proud to be an American

One of my sons serves in the military. He is still stateside, here in
California. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming
people were to him, and his troops, everywhere he goes, telling me how
people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and
fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them
> also. But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store he
stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base He said that ahead
of
several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He
said
when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked about the
> U.S. flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock. The cashier reached
up and touched the pin, and said proudly," Yes, I always wear it and
probably always will."
>
> The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to
stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi. A gentleman
standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's
shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice
to
the Iraqi woman:
>
> "Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have
fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in MY country and accuse a
check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had
you
been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't need to be there
today. But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out
> so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way
back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you
are obviously here in MY country to avoid."Everyone within hearing
distance cheered!
>
>
> ; IF YOU AGREE__ X __ Pass this on to all your proud American friends.

4 Comments:

  • an inpiring story for all, especially if you serve our country.

    By Blogger michelle, at 1:18 PM  

  • now that a good story. I served for four years during a non-war time and if I was was needed again a would go back if had to be. I think that many of our vets think the same. I saw on CNN that a army reserveist who fought in vietam is still fighting his country and what does that tell us, if grandfather can and will go forward to fight than all should support no matter where we are at. Support the troops even if we don't beleive in the war. they are just doing their jobs following orders

    By Blogger ryan, at 3:36 PM  

  • X

    By Blogger Kodiak, at 4:01 PM  

  • In the immortal words of Lee Greenwood, "God Bless the USA!"

    By Blogger Swinging Sammy, at 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home